Hello, dear ones!
Last week I gathered with the incredible beings of the Soulstice Sisterhood circle that I lead to celebrate the seasonal festival of Samhain (meaning Summer’s End in Gaelic).
Halloween originated from this ancient indigenous Celtic festival and marks the time of year when the spirit realms are thin, allowing us to connect more deeply with our ancestors and the magic and mystery all around us.
It’s also a time of deep acknowledgment of the dying of the year and honoring the inward turn…
Author Jane Meredith says this about Samhain…
“Descent into the dark is an inevitable and necessary part of the cycle. To resist the times and lessons of the darkness is to be in resistance to the whole cycle, because the whole cannot function without this part. Our world has night as well as day, winter as well as summer, and death as well as birth. Relationships end exactly as often as they start, as many projects are completed aor abandoned as are begun, and each life comes to a close. This is part of the cycle, just as night and sleep are part of our daily cycle.”
Through working more cyclically and seasonally in my personal life and business, I’ve learned to LOVE this time of year rather than resist it as I had in years past.
I’ve also learned that this is a potent time of year to look at what projects need to be “tucked in” or completed before I sign off for my winter’s hibernation break during the month of December, and get curious about how I can reap the most nourishment and restoration out of the winter season (even when the holiday hustle and bustle is in full swing)…
This all being said, I invite you to keep reading along for some inspiring journaling q’s and rituals, to help you create more spaciousness in your life and business during this time so that you can fully reap the benefits of the inward turn…
Samhain Rituals and Journaling Q’s for Restoration Magic:
One of the things I most love doing during this season is to arm myself with my personal “Self Preservation Hibernation Toolkit”.
This is all about creating a warm, cozy, magical and super supportive environment that invites deep rest and personal connection during the winter months.
Examples of what to add to your toolkit: Candles + old tyme lanterns that you can use instead of electric lights, warm blankets, seasonal books + magazines, journals, bath salts, herbal tea blends, essential oils, meditation cushions, cozy clothing, food items for stew, soups, stocks, etc…most important thing is to have FUN with it and make sure it ignites a deep sense of joy.
I also love setting boundaries around what time I shut off screens, TV, and lights at night, as well as turning the internet off in my home to further accentuate the ritual of unplugging.
Likewise, I like to get crystal clear around when I’m taking breaks in my business – this year will be a full month from Dec. 2th to Jan. 3rd..woot woot!
And, I recommend getting clear about what additional boundaries need to be set during these breaks, i.e. social media detox, temporarily removing myself from group text threads, not checking email, etc. – to cut down on “the noise”, to activate a deeper sense of presence and fully reap the benefits of the inward turn.
I truly believe that giving ourselves permission to set strong boundaries in our businesses and personal lives, and take seasonal breaks (that go against the Western societal norm), allows for greater sustainability and flow…
And, if we allow ourselves to receive this gift of spaciousness, this season can provide us with the rooted nourishment SO necessary to birth a new year ahead with strength, vitality, and ground.
Here are a few of my favorite journaling Q’s for you to dive into to get yourself and your business prepped and armed for these restorative winter months (these are repeats q’s from last year, but I believe they’re so helpful that I’m posting them again for you!):
- How would you energetically like to feel during this period of restoration and hibernation?
- What do you need to do to prepare yourself and your business, both on an inner and outer level, to fully reap the benefits of the inward turn? And what boundaries need to be put in place to make that happen?
- What elements of your business/projects need to be completed, released, put on hold, or “tucked in” before the year’s end?
- If there is a winter project that wants to get focused on – what might that be, when would you like for that to take place, and how specifically would you like to approach that project during the inward turn?
- How much time would you like to take off during this holiday season? And what needs to happen in order to take that time and space off?
- If you were to complete those pieces, put these boundaries in place, and fully turn inward during the dark months, what would positively shift for you in your life? What would open up for you in your business? What would have the chance to get activated at the beginning of the year?
- What aligned steps need to be put in place to really “tuck in” the projects you have going for the remainder of this year? – write all the steps/tasks down, and then break them down monthly, weekly, and daily.
- What next right actions or rituals would you like to commit or devote yourself to during this period of darkness?
All right dear community! I hope you enjoy diving deep into these questions and rituals, and into this sacred restorative season…sending so much love, and wish you all of the nourishment and restoration in the coming weeks and months that you deserve!