Healthy Spiced Cran-Apple Scones
- 1 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour (or unbleached all-purpose)
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar (buy online at nutsonline.com)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup organic butter, or Earth balance butter (for vegan version)
- 2 organic eggs, or for a vegan option use 2 heaping Tbsp. ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup organic cows, almond, or rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large organic apple (diced)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (preferably with no sugar added)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter an 11-in diameter circle in the middle of a baking sheet. Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs (or flax seeds), water, vanilla, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cut in small pieces of butter and distribute them over the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender (or 2 knives), cut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course crumbs.
- Add milk to the egg or flax-seed mixture and combine. Pour over the blended flour and stir to combine. Mix in apples and cranberries.
- Flour or butter your hands and put the batter on the buttered baking sheet, patting it down to a 9-in. diameter.
- Cut the dough with a sharp knife into 8 wedges, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake for 30-35 min. till golden brown and set in the middle. Re-cut wedges if needed, and let cool on wire racks.
- Enjoy with a bit of butter and a drizzle of raw honey. Yum!
Baked Spiced Apples with Walnuts and Agave
- 6 cored apples with tops peeled away
- 3 tsp organic butter or Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp raw agave nectar or raw honey
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- Wash and core apples; then peel away about 1/2 inch of skin from top of each.
- Place apples in a baking dish and pour apple cider in bottom of the dish.
- Divide the filling (raisins, walnuts, spices, agave, vanilla) and stuff the apples with it.
- Place pat of butter on top of filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees covered for 45 min. or until apples are super soft.
- Serve warm with vanilla coconut bliss (amazing vegan coconut milk ice cream)
DIY Spicy Pickle Recipe (inspired by Whole Living Magazine)
Ingredients Per Quart Jar:
- 1 ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (preferably unfiltered)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2 ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp agave nectar (or evaporated cane juice)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 large organic cucumber speared
- 3 large organic carrots peeled and speared
- Bring vinegar, ¾ cup water, salt, and agave to a boil. Stir, dissolving the salt.
- Heat a 1-quart jar: Fill it with hot water and let sit a few minutes before pouring out. (The heat will prevent shattering when you pour in the boiling brine.) Add garlic and spices.
- Pack the jars tightly with the veggies. You can cut them however you’d like…be creative! Pour in hot brine. Cover and let cool overnight to room temp. Cool before eating, and store in fridge up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!
Ashley’s Chocolate Spiced French Toast with Blueberry Sauce
Ingredients for Blueberry Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- Dash of cinnamon
Ingredients for French Toast
- 2 large pieces of multi-grain sourdough or gluten-free bread
- 2 large organic eggs
- 3 Tbsp almond milk or whole organic cow’s milk
- 1 tsp raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Organic grass fed butter, or Earth Balance Butter for cooking
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, blueberries, agave, lemon, and cinnamon, and simmer on low for 5 to 7 min. Remove from heat.
- While sauce is simmering, whisk together your eggs, milk, cacao powder, cinnamon, and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
- Heat up a large fry pan to medium heat and oil the pan with a pat of butter. Dip your sliced bread one piece at a time in the egg mixture (for about 10 seconds, or until soaked through), and place in the fry pan.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 min. on each side, until golden brown. Plate the 2 pieces of toast, and serve with the warm blueberry sauce and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Ashley’s Quick and Easy Fried Rice (Serves 2-4)
- 3 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 button mushrooms
- 2 large chopped carrots
- 2 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos, or low sodium soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups leftover cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 organic eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup chopped greens (kale, chard, or beet)
- In a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat, warm up 2 Tbsp. of the oil. Add the chili pepper flakes and garlic and stir till golden (about 30 sec.).
- Add the peas, carrots and mushrooms, and sauté 2 to 3 min. While sautéing, combine the Braggs, lime juice, cumin, pepper, and remaining oil in a small bowl, and whisk till combined.
- When peas, carrots, and mushrooms are finished sautéing, add the rice, egg, kale, and Braggs mixture. Lower heat to medium and cover.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 min. until egg is cooked through.
Hibiscus Green Tea Mocktail
- 4 cups filtered water, boiled
- 1 heaping tbsp hibiscus flowers
- 1 green tea bag or tea ball of loose green tea
- 1/4 cup raw wildflower honey
- In a glass pitcher add hibiscus flowers, green tea, and honey to the hot water. Stir honey until dissolved.
- Let tea steep for about 5 min. Remove green tea, and flowers, leaving a few flowers behind for show. Hibiscus flowers are totally edible so if you get one in your glass…it’s all good.
- Let tea cool to room temp and then pop into the fridge. When cooled, serve over ice with a lime wedge, and enjoy! You can definitely sip this tea warm as well.
Arugula Salad with Shaved Fennel and Cranberries
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 small fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 handful dried cranberries (preferably unsweetened)
- Handful of toasted pine nuts
- A few slices or crumbles of goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay Arugula out on a pretty plate.
- Shave fennel on top with a mandolin.
- Add the handfuls of dried cranberries, and pine nuts, and top with a few slices or crumbles of goat cheese. Soooo good…
Gluten- and Sugar-Free Mulberry White Nectarine Crisp
- 2 cups mulberries (can substitute with blackberries)
- 3 cups sliced white nectarines
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup organic gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup organic butter (or earth balance butter to make it vegan too!)
- Arrange the fruit in a buttered 9″ pie pan.
- Combine coconut palm sugar, flour, oats, almonds, and spices, and cut in butter till crumbly.
- Pour the dry mixture over the fruit, and press down.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 min. till top is browned.
Optional: Serve with vanilla Coconut Bliss ice cream
Raw Chocolate Superfood Bites
- 3 Tbsp Raw Cacao Butter
- 3 Tbsp Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp Raw Honey or Raw Agave Nectar
- 2 Tbsp Raw Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Toasted Coconut Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Dried Gogi Berries (or dried unsweetened cherries, or raisins)
- 2 Tbsp Raw Cacao Nibs
- Create a makeshift double boiler by adding water to a pan, and setting a thick glass bowl on top, or setting a smaller pan into a bigger pan filled halfway with water.
- Add your raw cacao butter, coconut oil, cacao powder, and raw honey, and melt on medium heat. (About 2-3 min.)
- In a separate bowl, combine pepitas, coconut flakes, gogi berries, and cacao nibs, and mix to combine.
- Pour melted chocolate over the previous mixture, and stir to combine.
- Spoon chocolate mixture into small paper baking cups (about 2 tbsp. per cup).
- Freeze for 30 min. on a baking sheet to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and enjoy!
Honeydew Lime Granita
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 large honeydew melon, seeded, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whirl honeydew, agave, limejuice, and vanilla in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour purée into an 8-in. square baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until mixture starts to freeze at edges but is still slushy, 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir mixture thoroughly, scraping sides down. Cover and freeze until solid, at least 7 hours.
- Scrape granita with a fork to make large flakes and spoon into bowls. I love to serve mine with fresh mint, and I like to let mine soften a bit before I eat it… Enjoy!
Ashley’s Simple DIY Apple Sauce
- 10 organic apples, partially peeled and cut up (I like to leave some of the skins on for color and texture personally, but it’s up to you)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup raw honey, or agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Add apples and ingredients to a large pan and cook on low for about 20 min.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Passion Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 Tbsp Earth Balance butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup almond or rice milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cold pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs well, then add the milk and melted butter.
- Combine the liquid + dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Grease muffin pans with extra Earth Balance and fill just over two-thirds of the way full with batter. Bake 20-25 min. at 375 degrees. Delish!
Yields 6 jumbo-sized muffins or 12 medium-sized muffins.
Green Paradise Smoothie (makes 2 servings)
I love this recipe! We just adapted this from my new Blendtec Blender Fresh Blends Recipe Book, and it rocks hardcore! You’ll never even know your eatin’ green…
- 1 1/2 C water
- 3 C pineapple chunks
- 1 banana
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 C spinach
- 1 C ice cubes
- Add ingredients into blender jar in order listed and secure lid.
- Select your smoothie option or blend on high for a min. or two till smooth and serve. Delish!
This is a great way to start the day and crowd out the donuts at work with something nutritious that’ll keep you going all morning long.
Ashley’s Easy Peasy Pumpkin Soup
This recipe is super simple and so good. Among many other health benefits, pumpkin can help you shed pounds. The orange beauty is an often-overlooked source of fiber, but with 3 grams of fiber per cup and only 49 calories, it can keep you feeling full for longer on fewer calories… So dig in!
- 4 cups pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 chopped onion sautéed
- 4 Tbsp organic half and half
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Dash of cinnamon
- Cracked black pepper and roasted pumpkin seeds to top off the dish (optional)
- Whirl all ingredients into a food processor or blender till smooth.
- Transfer soup to a medium-sized saucepan on medium-low heat and heat till just before boiling.
- Serve with pepper/and seeds if desired.
Lighter-Than-Air, Honey-Lemon-Almond Cookies (Gluten-free)
- 2 cups sweet white sorghum flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 cup salted organic butter
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1tsp pure almond extract
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 organic egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all your dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream together butter and honey with mixer, then add the almond extract, lemon juice and zest, and egg.
- Continue beating till mixture looks curdled, about 2 minutes.
- Add in slowly the dry mixture and mix till combined.
- Spoon batter in Tablespoon sized dollops onto an ungreased baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 min. till golden brown.
- Remove sheet from oven and let cookies cool on sheet for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and let cookies cool completely.